Home             About             Coupons             Discounts             Sales             Deals             Freebies            

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Living on the Cheap

I got a note from a reader today about ways to live "on the cheap" which doesn't always mean sales or discounts. I couldn't agree more! In the future, I'll try to cover ways to live on less or for less, and offer creative ways to avoid buying brand new (in addition to posting sales & discounts).

Personally, I keep an ongoing list of things that everyone in our house needs. E.g., my son needs short-sleeve shirts for summer or the next size up shoes. I might need some new work shirts, or black heels for that September wedding - that type of thing. We can't always go out and get things we need all at once, but I keep my list. Then, when I do see the sales come across, I look at my list and see what we need - getting the discount for items we'll use versus just impulse buying.

Another great trick is to go through your home and see what you don't need anymore. Clothes, toys, shoes, etc. Consign them (I'll do another post on consigning later), put up on ebay, sell on Craigslist or swap/sell through a neighborhood network. I bought my double jogging stroller through my neighborhood moms and dads yahoo group and saved $200. I use it almost every day. And today, I sold some appliances on craigslist. I will keep that money aside and use for things we need from my list - not to order a pizza!

Thanks reader Heather for the great idea and I'll keep it coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment